Can I block SMS?
Below are walk-through processes for blocking and unblocking SMS from specific phone numbers in 8x8 Work.
Note that the processes outlined below work exactly the same for both 8x8 Work for Desktop and for 8x8 Work for Mobile.
- 8x8 Work
To Block an External SMS
With the 8x8 Work for Desktop application you do have the option to block SMS messages sent by external numbers that are NOT saved into your contact list. Calls and SMS messages are handled separately, hence, blocking an SMS only blocks the number from reaching out to you through this particular communication channel.
In order to block an external SMS, please follow the next steps:
- From the navigation menu, click the messages icon (used for IMs and SMS).
- Click on the message from the sender that you want to block.
- In the sender row, click on the three dots on the top right corner for more options.
- From the drop-down list, please select either Block Sender or Contact Info --> Block Sender
- At the prompt to confirm, click Block Sender
Once blocked, the SMS is removed from your list of chats.
Please note that you may also choose to block the sender from the chat window too, by clicking More Options (three dots) and then, selecting Block Sender from the list.
To Unblock an External SMS
- From the navigation menu, select Search and type the number that you wish to unblock.
- When located, hover over the number and click the message icon to view the messages in the Messages list.
- Select the contact and click the three dots for more options.
- From the drop-down list, please select Unblock Sender or Contact Info --> Unblock Sender.
Once unblocked, the sender remains visible in the chat list.
Please note that you may also unblock a sender from the chat windows by clicking More Options (three dots) and then, selecting Unblock Sender from the list.
Messages received after blocking a sender do not display in the chat history once a sender is unblocked.