Description & Download
Welcome to Beta testing for 8x8 Virtual Office Desktop! We're glad you're here.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment: For users that have their own machines and can install upgrades on their own without their company controlling the updates they install. (Learn more.)
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation: Installs VOD machine-wide to the Program Files folder. Best for companies that want to control the version that their users receive. (Learn more.)
Version 6.6.1 (17) published on 1/16/20.
Minimum system requirements
- Operating System
- Windows 7 and newer
- MacOS 10.10 and newer
- Hardware Requirements
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB of available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Browser Compatibility
- Internet Explorer 9.0 or newer
- Google Chrome 5.0 or newer
- Firefox 2.0 or newer
- Safari 3.0 or newer
- Minimum 1.5 Mbps down/up (Cable modem, DSL, or better)
For a complete list of requirements, refer to the Virtual Office Technical Requirements.
What's new in this release?
The key features in Virtual Office Desktop v 6.6 are:
Core & Voice
- Auto-Away presence after user-configured period of PC inactivity.
- Affinity based Search for contacts (more often engaged users ranked higher in the search result). Only 8x8 contacts for now.
- [Windows only] Flash then app taskbar icon to avoid missing notifications.
- Temporarily suppress desktop notification content while in a Meeting.
- Inform the user is on the Alpha/Beta update channel.
- Proper handling of locked and multiple extensions for FAX use-cases.
- Integrate desk phone with an 8x8 Video Meeting.
- Show the full count of Read receipts on a message instead of limiting it to 30 as it was in previous messages.
- Ability to retry failed file uploads.
- Ability to request app debug-logs without user interaction (troubleshooting).
- Call on Hold can be promoted to a meeting but the other party doesn't get full 8x8 Video Meetings experience and is only joined with Audio.
Download for Windows
VOD 6.0, and later, provides two packages for Windows. The two packages are fundamentally different, using different deployment and update mechanisms. We recommend reading the following carefully before using either of them.
EXE Version for Per-User Deployment
The .exe version is meant for users that have their own machines and can install upgrades on their own without their company controlling the updates they install.
What to Consider
- The .exe version will be installed to %LOCALAPPDATA%.
- Automatic updates are downloaded and installed for the user. In previous 5.x versions, users were prompted to install the update.
- No need for maintenance. VOD will keep itself up-to-date and secure.
- VOD will check for updates every time the user signs in, or once every 24 hours, or when they check for updates manually. The updates are downloaded in the background without user intervention.
- If there is an update to be installed, VOD will apply the update automatically when the user signs into VOD. If the user has not installed an update three days after it was downloaded, they will see a Relaunch to Install banner. They can click the Relaunch to Install link and install the update.
MSI for Machine-Wide Installation
The Windows Installer file (MSI) package installs Virtual Office Desktop (VOD) machine-wide to the Program Files folder. By installing in the Program Files folder, it can be used by multiple users on one computer.
This package is best for companies that want to control the version that their users receive.
What to Consider
- Single installation on a machine that multiple users that use the computer can leverage.
- IT Admins are required to keep VOD up-to-date and secure.