Sameroom End of Life
As of May 31, 2023, 8x8's Sameroom chat message relay service has been permanently retired.
Notifications for this were sent to both 8x8 and Sameroom customers as of April 28, 2023.
- Sameroom (Standalone accounts)
- 8x8 Team Messaging (X Series accounts)
Questions & Answers
- Why was Sameroom shut down?
- Who was affected by this?
- What exactly happened?
- Do chat relay for services connected by Sameroom bridgebot still work?
- Will I receive a refund for any unused service time?
- Can I obtain copies of my billing activity?
Why was Sameroom shut down?
While Sameroom was a useful product for connecting chat services together, a combination of issues led to its retirement:
- We relied on 3rd party chat services to maintain their operation in such a way that Sameroom could properly function with them. Over time, we saw a significant trend in services making API and other changes that made it infeasible to maintain Sameroom as a product.
- 8x8 Team Messaging and standalone Sameroom customer use of Sameroom connections declined significantly, especially as chat services (such as Slack) provided a similar functionality with their own service.
- Sameroom no longer aligns with our service consolidation criteria.
Who was affected by this?
Any customer who used Sameroom functionality in any way:
- All paid standalone Sameroom service accounts, typically signed up for through the Sameroom.io portal.
- All 8x8 X Series accounts provisioned for Sameroom access.
- All free Sameroom bridgebot-to-bridgebot service connections. This includes Skype, Telegram, and GroupMe.
What exactly happened?
On April 28, 2023, signup of new Sameroom accounts in the Sameroom.io portal were disabled, and provisioning of Sameroom for 8x8 X Series services ceased.
- All users of Sameroom services continued to maintain functionality until the May 31, 2023 service retirement date.
On May 31, 2023, all Sameroom service chat message relay functionality ceased.
- Sameroom (standalone): All Sameroom capabilities and functionality were terminated. Access to the Sameroom.io portal also ceased to function.
- 8x8 X Series (Team Messaging): All Sameroom capabilities and functionality were terminated, and Sameroom commands ceased to respond.
- Sameroom bridgebot-to-bridgebot service connections: All Sameroom capabilities and functionality were terminated.
Do chat relay for services connected by Sameroom bridgebot still work?
No. All Sameroom bridgebot service connections also ceased to function on May 31, 2023.
This means that free bridgebot-to-bridgebot connections between any combination of Skype, Telegram, and GroupMe have ceased to function.
Will I receive a refund for any unused service time?
Sameroom (standalone): The most recent paid service fees will be refunded at a prorated rate. Customers should receive a refund to their registered method of payment within five business days after the Sameroom service closes.
8x8 X Series (Team Messaging): No service fees will be refunded, as Sameroom functionality is a feature provided at no additional charge to 8x8 X Series customers.
Can I obtain copies of my billing activity?
As of May 31, 2023 billing activity is no longer available, as the service has been terminated and is no longer accessible.